Some facts about Selenium you may haven’t heard yet:
- Many chemical reactions require the Selenium element to hasten or catalyze the process.
- Selenium is primarily used for making red-colored enamels and glasses and decolorizing them.
- Selenium contains anti-fungal properties that are excellent against dandruff and other fungal diseases. Its compounded form, Selenium sulfide, is a component in commercially produced anti-dandruff shampoos.
- Selenium is used in photocells and solar cells. As a matter of fact, the first solar cell was made and produced from Selenium. One can also harbor its chemical properties as a photographic toner.
- In the making of stainless steel, Selenium is paired with bismuth (another element that is symbolized as “Bi” in the periodic table) in brasses. Its ability to directly influence a product’s machinability when mixed with iron and copper-based metals has been beneficial to the industry. It cuts costs and improves efficiency.
- Although Selenium can be considered as a harmful substance when taken in large consumptions, it is also an important trace element for nutrition among organisms. An enzyme (glutathione peroxidase) relies heavily on Selenium for it to function properly.
- A poor Selenium diet can increase your risk of cancer. But too much consumption of the element can lead to poisoning and even death.
- Plants require sulfur for growth and nourishment. But in its absence, they resort to consuming Selenium instead. Hence, the element is still introduced into the food chain. Plants growing on low sulfur-containing soils often have high levels of selenium compounds. Organisms eating on this Selenium-rich vegetations can succumb to illness or death.
Are you planning on using Selenium into your manufactured goods?
Before selecting a high-grade selenium product and/or alloys, there are factors you may need to consider:
- Cost of your materials and production
- Volume of supplies
- Size of your site
- Specific state licenses, codes, and regulations
Selenium Germany can help you decide which one is best for you. One of the advantages of working directly with our selenium specialists is you get a well-informed guide as you go through the selection process. Our friendly experts will be happy to discuss each of these products to you. They can also provide you their know-how in the industry. Please don’t hesitate to talk to us soon.
If you are ready to make a purchase, head over to our products and services page. Take a look at our wide options of high-grade selenium products and shop online. You may also visit our tech blog for more information about this mineral.